6am - 10pm 7 Days a Week
Call Us (303)353–8496
2323 South Troy St., Suite 5-135 Aurora, CO 80014
Tips For Choosing and Purchasing a Furnace

Tips For Choosing and Purchasing a Furnace

Purchasing a furnace for your home is a major financial investment. It is important to educate yourself regarding this vital appliance so that you can make the best choice for your needs.

The quality level of a furnace can be determined by several of the following factors:

Don’t worry! We explain all of these terms and acronyms further down in this post.

Before you begin your search for the proper furnace for your home, you need to know what type of fuel source your home has. It will be one of the following. Which source does
your home use?

  • ElectricHow To Choose A Furance
  • Natural gas line
  • Propane tank
  • Oil tank

Once you determine the type of fuel source for your home you will be able to start the search for your furnace. If you are unsure about your fuel source, contact a NATE certified HVAC professional for assistance. They will be able to tell you what type of fuel source your home uses.

AFUE Percentage – Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency

AFUE is a measure of how well a furnace or boiler converts the energy in its fuel source to heat over the course of a typically year. It is a ratio of heat output compared to the total energy consumed. The higher the AFUE rating the more efficient the furnace is.

If a furnace or boiler has an AFUE of 90% that means that 90% of the energy in the fuel becomes heat for the home. The other  10% escapes up the home home either up a chimney, and elsewhere. The AFUE does not take into consideration  heat losses due to poorly insulated duct system, piping, unsealed windows and the like. As much as  35% of the energy  that a furnace produces can be lost when ducts are located in the attic.

Want To Save Money On Your Energy Bills?

LEARN MORE

The Federal Trade Commission requires new furnaces or boilers to display their AFUE as an aide to consumers in comparing heating efficiencies of various makes and models of appliances.

BTU Level – British Thermal Unit

BTU is a unit of measure used to state the amount of energy that a fuel possess as well as the amount of output of any heat generating device using that fuel. All combustible materials have a BTU rating. For instance, propane has about 15,000 BTUs per pound.

The size of your home, or the area you wish to heat, will determine which BTU Level you will need. If you have a large home, you will need a furnace with high BTU. Here is a handy calculator you can use to calculate the BTU’s your furnace will need for your particular situation. REMEMBER! The BTU number does not represent the heat output. That amount is related to the AFUE percentage.

Air Filter & Humidifier

If you or anyone in your home has even a slight sensitivity to dust or mold, you should consider purchasing a furnace with an air filter or air purifier built in.

Heat, as I am sure you know, dries things out – towels, hair, dishes, etc….. The same is true for the air in your home Because of this fact, choosing a furnace with a built-in humidifier is essential.

Brand

Be  sure to purchase a reputable brand that is reliable, and is known for quality and reliability. All Weather Heating and Cooling is an Authorized Lennox Dealer – one of the top names in the business – but we service all makes and models of heating and cooling products.

Other Things to Consider

You will also want to make sure that the furnace you purchase comes with a warranty. Once you purchase your furnace you will need to have a certified HVAC contractor  install it for you. If a furnace is improperly install it could void your warranty

We are happy to assist you in choosing a brand. Call us to discuss your needs!

303-353-8496

 

Comments

comments

Call Us (303)353–8496
2323 South Troy St., Suite 5-135 Aurora, CO 80014